Since having my little guy back in August, I’ve had a couple of hangovers. Having a hangover with an infant is tough. TOUGH! You can’t just nap all day long. And, I don’t know about you, but I still have occasions in my life where I want to indulge in a couple (or more than a couple) cocktails. Weddings. Bachelorette Parties. St. Patrick’s Day. Football Games. Random Nights Out!
The amount of times I go out has definitely decreased, but hangovers are still not fun. Here are my tips for being a new mom and dealing with the dreaded hangover…
- Drink less and avoid the hangover all together.
LOL – not going to happen. But it feels like a responsible thing to say… Here’s my real list:
- Day drink – For St. Patty’s Day, we had Grandma watch B and went out with friends during the day. I was home by 8 p.m., had my Domino’s pizza and woke up oddly refreshed.
- Week day drinks and happy hours are your friend – It’s easier being hungover at work than at home with an infant. You can throw your hair up in a messy bun, grab your coffee and greasy breakfast sandwich on your way to work and recover in peace at your desk.
- Eat these – #YUM
- Overnight childcare is key – If you have family close by who can watch baby while you’re out and then keep them until later in the morning the next day, that’s perfect.
- Avoid annoying kid TV shows – It may be tempting to just turn on the TV for baby, but you do not want that headache-inducing music to be playing when you already feel like your head is going to explode.
- Nap when baby naps – Everyone told me to do this while on maternity leave, but I didn’t listen. I had to shower, do laundry, make food. When you’re hungover, nap when baby naps!
- Split up the duties – Order some breakfast on Door Dash or Bite Squad and invite your friends over to recover with you. The more people around, the more people to play with your little one.
- Plan ahead – Have snacks ready because leaving the house is hard enough when you’re hungover – try being hungover and getting baby ready and out the door.
- Pedialyte – Honestly, I’ve never tried this one, but have heard good things. Plus, if you’re a parent, you might already have it laying around the house.
- Reminisce! – Watch Insta-stories and look at pics from the night before. Because if you don’t remember how much fun you had, you’ll find yourself swearing off drinking, and we all know that’s not actually going to happen…
Anyone else have a baby at home that has made everyday life so happy, but hungover days the absolute worst? Let me know you’re fave tips for handling baby + hangover!